Washington DC is on lockdown mode this week, as the FBI and other intelligence agencies continue to warn that far-right extremists and white nationalist groups are continuing to plan protests against Joe Biden’s inauguration on Wednesday.
The Capitol itself has become a fortress, with a large contingent of the 20,000+ National Guardsmen deployed to the city finding themselves in the vicinity of the previously ransacked institution.
Earlier this week, the FBI announced that they would be providing additional screening of these service members, hoping to root out any domestic terror threats that may lurk within the guard.
The Pentagon now seeks to clarify the situation.
Acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller said in a statement there was “no intelligence indicating an insider threat” from the National Guard after some reports and at least one Democrat lawmaker suggested that National Guard members securing the inauguration could pose such a threat.
He also confirmed reports that National Guard members were being vetted, but portrayed it as somewhat normal for large security events.
He said in his statement:
“As is normal for military support to large security events, the Department will vet National Guardsmen who are in Washington, D.C. While we have no intelligence indicating an insider threat, we are leaving no stone unturned in securing the capital.”
The worry arose after Capitol Police suspended several members, (and launched investigations into several more), due to the assistance that they provided the insurrectionists who invaded the Capitol on January 6th.
*The views and opinions expressed here are solely those of the author of the article and not necessarily shared or endorsed by FreedomClash.com*